The Places I Dream Of




I know I am lucky to be living in such an idyllic place, but I still dream of jetting off somewhere else for a change of scenery. Don't get me wrong - I am not bored with my life in Phuket, but I have always had a wandering soul.....

So here is a list of the places I would love to visit in the next year or so.......

1. The Karoo, South Africa: Oh, the big, big sky of the Karoo beckons, the wide open plains, the shimmering heat, the farmhouses with big verandas, samp and beans and oats porridge with farm butter....

2.
Ipanema Beach, Rio de Janeiro; The beautiful people, the gorgeous sunsets and the exciting saunas...to Rio I must go!

3. The Greek Islands: I don't care that the economy has collapsed or that the Euro has made everything expensive, I am determined to go back this summer. The architecture and lifestyle does it for me. Naxos, anyone?

4. New York City: The city that makes all others seem dull. I had always dreamt that I would en up living in NYC - there's still time..... Central Park, Fifth Avenie, Greenwich Village...

5. Dubai: Goodness knows, I might hate it. But I do love the idea of a city created in the middle of the desert from nothing. I know I will love the hotels, the shopping means nothing to me. My soulmate Helen is living there now, so that's more than enough reason to get there....

6.
Manila, Philippines: I know very little about it, but the Filipinos I have met have been so much fun that I have got to see where they come from. I feel some romance awaits me there. If I do hate it, I can always visit Boracay.

7. Las Vegas: I loved Vegas the only time I have been there. Just love gambling with low denominations so that I can't lose a lot. I am not a real gambler, but I want to have the fun without the risk. I am fascinated by the people who love Vegas.

8.
Luang Prabang, Laos: Its so close to Thailand that its shameful that I haven't been to visit this sleepy backwater. I know I will love it, perhas too much. Will anyone come and visit me if I settle in Laos.

9.
Rome, Italy: Have never been to Italy, which is a sin. And I guess the best place to start off is Rome. But I would like to check out Florence as well. And take in the Italian countryside. Watch out Italy, I am on my way!

10. The Outback, Australia: I am not so keen to see Perth, Sydney or Melbourne, but I do want to experience life on a farm deep in the Aussie Outback. But it needs to fit my romantic image of an oasis in the desert. No flies and Evian water, please.

Finally, I will always be drawn back to Haga Haga (Eastern Cape's Wild Coast, South Africa), where my soul rests and I feel totally at home.

Please comment, listing your dream destination. If Phuket's on your list, I'll give you a free tour!